Calendar of Events
As we transition from marching band to concert bands, now is a good time to revisit the band calendar of events to ensure that upcoming performances of concert bands, jazz bands, and solo festivals are correctly entered into student and family planners. The calendar is available under Quick Links on the band’s homepage
Reminder: “subscribe” to the UHS Band Calendar electronically by following the instructions, which are also under Quick Links on the band’s homepage.
Upcoming Jazz Band Performances
– Dec. 3 – UHS/UMS Jazz Concert – PAC
– Dec. 14 – SCIBA District Jazz Contest – Waukee High School
Solo / Ensemble Festivals
If your child is interested in participating, here are their basic responsibilities:
- With the help of a teacher, pick out appropriate solo music (by Nov. 15th)
- Fill out the online sign up form (linked on band website) by 4:00 p.m. on Nov. 15th– Hard Deadline.
- Pay the participation fee by Dec. 6th, 3:30 p.m. – hard deadline. (Invoice will be handed out on or near Dec. 2nd)
- Order an original print of their solo music (Rieman’s, JWPepper.com or other)(Photocopies are illegal.)
- Practice with and pay for their accompanist (all rehearsals and performances generally total app. $60). We will assist the students by partnering them up with an accompanist.
Solo = $15; small ensemble = $10 per person in the group.
Performances will be on Thursday, Feb. 13th at Urbandale High School (in the evening) and Saturday, Feb. 22nd at Perry High School in the morning &/or afternoon.
Band Summit Photos/Videos
Any pictures or videos you would like considered for the Band Summit video should be submitted to Mr. Doggett. These photos and videos should be of current band students participating in band activities from this year. Examples could include selfies or group photos taken before or after a band event. Videos of marching performances are not needed.
It’s never to soon to plan ahead for a life-changing summer experience. For students wishing to excel in music and leadership, we encourage them to broaden their horizons by attending the “Music For All” Summer Symposium at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. (Many UHS students have attended in the past.)
Congratulations to everyone who auditioned for All-State. Your efforts help the entire program get stronger.
Here are the results.
SCIBA Honor Band
Participating students will audition for the South Central Iowa Bandmasters Association (SCIBA) Honor Band on the evening of December 5, 2019 at Roosevelt High School. If accepted, students will perform a concert at Ankeny High School on January 11, 2019. More details will be published separately on this page.
How to Letter in Band
Click here to see this year’s lettering guide and Op. Ed.
Reminder: Dec. 4 and March 25; 2:30 – 3:30 PM; UHS PAC
All students in all activities are expected to attend. Topics explored will be leadership, team work, and getting the most out of all experiences at UHS.