Upcoming Performances – New!
In conjunction with our Activities Department, we are working to provide the 2020 J-Hawk Marching Band the opportunity to perform at halftime of the Homecoming Football Game Friday, September 25th.
During the week of September 21st, we will announce how parents/guardians (2 per band member) will be admitted to the halftime performance (free of charge).
Please note that all events are subject to change based upon the current conditions of our school and community.
2020 J-Hawk Marching Band Performances – Frerichs Field
– September 25th – Halftime Performance
– September 26th – Band Performance (Leadership Recognition)
– October 10th – Band Performance (Senior Recognition)
Band lessons began on Monday, August 31st. This year, all lessons will take place online. Students should be scheduled for a lesson on a day they are not in school. This schedule can be found under the “Online Learning” tab of our website. Any adjustments to this schedule will be reflected on this link.
Students are required to attend a lesson with a UHS staff member once every-other week. 100% remote students will have a lesson each week on Mondays. Students who are studying with a private teacher will be allowed to “vouch” for their lessons by having their private teacher sign a voucher form (available in the Lesson tab of the band website). These students are still responsible for submitting all classroom and performance assessments (see below).
Students will be graded in three areas this semester.
- Performance Assessments: This includes music memorization and other performance based assignments that require submitting a video recording. To receive full credit for marching band, students should be able to play all three marching pieces memorized. Please see our Online Learning Plan for suggested due dates. We will allow students the opportunity to submit marching band performance assessments up until our final performance on October 10th.
- Classroom Assignments: Classroom assignments include all other band assignments that do not involve playing an instrument. Weekly Reflection Forms are included in this category and can also be found on the “Online Learning” tab.
- Lessons: Students are required to attend an online lesson with a staff member once every-other week. In order to receive full credit, students must arrive on time and prepared with any assigned lesson material.
For students taking private lessons, we will accept performance assessments by video. The video should be at a wide enough angle to show the student and surround area to ensure performance is by memory. It is acceptable (actually preferable) to have make the video with the music playing in the background. Music can be accessed on the marching band page of the band website.
Please see our Video Recording Instructions with details on how to submit a high quality recording.
Jazz Band rehearsals will begin next Tuesday, September 8th. Rehearsals will take place from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM on all Tuesday evenings until our marching season is over. Students should arrive at 5:45 PM in order to move equipment outdoors. A schedule regarding rehearsal times for the remainder of our season will be announced at a later date. Audition results have been posted on the “jazz ensemble” tab. Thank you to everyone who auditioned. We look forward to beginning our jazz season together!