Calendar of Events
As we transition from marching band to concert bands, now is a good time to revisit the band calendar of events to ensure that upcoming performances of concert bands, jazz bands, and solo festivals are correctly entered into student and family planners. The calendar is available under Quick Links on the band’s homepage.
Reminder: “subscribe” to the UHS Band Calendar electronically by following the instructions, which are also under Quick Links on the band’s homepage.
– Dec. 3 – UHS/UMS Jazz Summit – PAC (noon performance)
– Dec. 10 – SCIBA District Jazz Contest – Waukee High School (performance time not yet announced)
– Dec. 12 – Wind Symphony shared concert @ Ames High School
– Dec. 19 – UHS + 8th Grade Band Concert – PAC – 7 PM
Solo and Ensemble Contest
*New – All students will be registered to perform in director assigned small ensembles at both the Urbandale Solo and Ensemble Contest and Perry Band Olympics (Feb. 9th and 18th). Please make sure all students have these dates on their calendar. Directors will be announcing exact ensembles in the coming weeks.
Feb. 9th – Urbandale Solo and Ensemble Contest
Feb. 18th – Perry Band Olympics
Students will have the option of performing a solo and/or small ensemble in addition to the required large ensembles assigned by the director. For students performing a solo, we will be scheduling 3 rehearsals for students to rehearse with their accompanist prior to February 9th. These rehearsals will be scheduled on the three Sunday afternoons leading up to our event (Jan. 22, 29, and Feb. 5). All rehearsals will take place at UHS.
The Performing Arts Booster Club will be covering the cost of accompanists assigned by the Band Department. Their support makes Solo and Ensemble even more accessible to all students within our program. External accompanists will be permitted but not covered by the boosters.
If your student is interested in performing a solo or small ensemble, please complete the following items:
Once posted, click “Activities,” “High School,” “High School Solo Fees,” and the registration number. Continue following additional prompts.
Solo and Ensemble Checklist:
- With the help of a teacher, pick out appropriate solo music by Nov. 18th
- Complete the registration form (listed above) by 4:00 p.m. on Nov. 22nd – Hard Deadline.
- Pay the participation fee for solos by Dec. 2nd, 3:30 p.m. (linked above)
- Solo: $20.00 Ensembles: No fee (covered by Boosters)
- Students are responsible for ordering an original print of solo music (Rieman’s, JWPepper.com or other)(Photocopies are illegal.) We will provide the judge’s copy.
30Pop Fundraiser Results
We are excited to announce that our Performing Arts Booster Club raised a total of $18,568.90. Thank you for the support!
Band Summit Photos/Videos
Any pictures or videos you would like considered for the Band Summit video should be submitted to Mr. Doggett. These photos and videos should be of current band students participating in band activities from this year. Examples could include selfies or group photos taken before or after a band event. Videos of marching performances are not needed.
Congratulations to everyone who auditioned for All-State. Your efforts help the entire program get stronger.
– Oded Harazi – Euphonium – 2nd Alternate
Here is a link to the full press release.
SCIBA Honor Band
Participating students will audition for the South Central Iowa Bandmasters Association (SCIBA) Honor Band on the evening of December 1, 2022 at Roosevelt High School. If accepted, students will perform a concert at Ankeny High School on January 7, 2023. More details will be published separately on this page.
Roosevelt High School
4419 Center St.
Des Moines, IA 50312
Enter through the main entrance and go directly into the auditorium to warm up.