Event Ticket Reminder
For all band events at UHS, tickets MUST be purchased in advance at www.j-hawks.com/tickets. A cash option will NOT be available at the door.
Solo and Ensemble Contest (ALL Students)
Feb. 9th – Urbandale Solo and Ensemble Contest
Feb. 18th – Perry Band Olympics
- Students performing a solo must pay the participation fee by this Friday, Dec. 2nd – $20. A link to the online payment system can be found here (See payment instructions below).
- Students should be ordering an original published version of their music (Photocopying music is illegal.)
- Students performing a solo will have 3 opportunities to rehearse with their accompanist prior to February 9th. These rehearsals will be scheduled on the three Sunday afternoons leading up to our event (Jan. 22, 29, and Feb. 5). All rehearsals will take place at UHS.
The Performing Arts Booster Club will be covering the cost of accompanists assigned by the Band Department. Their support makes Solo and Ensemble even more accessible to all students within our program. External accompanists will be permitted but not covered by the boosters.
Once posted, click “Activities,” “High School,” “High School Solo Fees,” and the registration number. Continue following additional prompts.
The jazz bands have two upcoming performances before winter break.
Saturday, Dec. 3rd – The Urbandale Jazz Summit
– This event involves local jazz professionals leading clinics throughout the morning followed by a performance in the PAC at noon. We highly encourage families to attend clinics throughout the morning! Clinics are free to attend. The noon performance is $5.00. A student itinerary for this event can be found HERE. The event will also be streamed at https://j-hawks.com/live.
Saturday, Dec. 10th – SCIBA Jazz Contest
– All three jazz bands will perform at the SCIBA District Jazz Festival in Waukee. An itinerary with specific performance times can be found HERE.
SCIBA Honor Band Auditions
SCIBA Audition Info, Itinerary, and Schedule
Wind Symphony Shared Concert W/Ames
On Monday, Dec. 12th, the Wind Symphony will travel to Ames and perform a shared concert with Ames High School. Students will work with guest clinician Dr. Galyen from The University of Northern Iowa as they prepare two pieces alongside the Ames Symphonic Band. We hope you can join us for a public performance at 7 PM in the brand new Ames High Performing Arts Center.
An itinerary for this event can be found here.
The 8th Grade Concert Band along with the three UHS concert bands will perform back-to-back on Dec. 19th at 7:00 PM in the PAC. We will also have performances from our two UHS percussion ensembles.
Students must be wearing appropriate concert attire in order to perform. Concert attire specifications are posted on the website under Ensembles / Concert Bands (and posted near the end of this newsletter).
Professional Quality Instruments
For students wishing to excel on their instrument, it is vital to practice and perform on the best instrument affordable.
If you are ready to advance to the next level of performance, here’s our list of recommended instruments.
If you already have a professional quality instrument, be sure to both practice AND rehearse with your best instrument at all times. (Save your secondary instrument for emergencies.) Yes, this means you should bring it back and forth to school. If your personal achievement is important to you, this effort is well worth the sacrifice.
Band Summit Photos/Videos
Any pictures or videos you would like considered for the Annual Band Summit Video (Jan. 28) should be submitted to Mr. Doggett. These photos and videos should be of current band students participating in band activities from this year. Examples could include selfies or group photos taken before or after a band event.
Concert Attire Details
Many area schools have purchased long black gowns for the women and tuxedos for the men. We have chosen to give students some liberty in their choice of clothing for their concerts. However, in order to maintain the appropriate decorum in the formal concerts, we ask that all members of the J-Hawk Bands follow these guidelines when choosing their concert attire.
- Black dress shirt with collar and tie based in blue.
- Black dress pants (suitable for a crease in front) and black belt (exclude cargo pants, denim, corduroy, etc.)
- Black dress shoes with black socks (suitable for polishing; exclude athletic shoes and socks, sandals, flip-flops, or other casual footwear)
- Black suit or sport coat optional but recommended (if wearing a suit, you may substitute a white dress shirt)
Wind Symphony & Wind Ensemble men are highly encouraged to accept the suit or sport coat option.
All options offered for the men are also acceptable for women
- Floor length black dress with sleeves or floor length black skirt with black blouse
- Optional accent accessories should be blue (such as a scarf or head band)
- Black dress shoes (Color: flat black close-toed and flat heel with skin-toned hose. Exclude athletic shoes and socks, sandals, flip-flops, or other casual footwear)
Proper decorum for formal concerts suggests no skin is showing from shoulders to the floor.