Upcoming events and articles:
Mattress Fundraiser results
SCIBA Honor Band
Purchasing tickets for UHS events
SCIBA Jazz Festival
Band Summit video submissions
Solo & Ensemble Contest
Purchasing a quality instrument
Results of the Mattress Fundraiser
Our first Mattress Fundraiser was a success! The Performing Arts Boosters raised a total of $11,000. This money will be put to good use for Band, Choir, and Theatre. A big shout out to Erich “Mattress Man” Schmidt from Custom Fundraising Solutions for all of his help. Tell your friends and family that we’re doing it again next year!
SCIBA Honor Band Auditions
Participating students will audition for the South Central Iowa Bandmasters Association (SCIBA) Honor Band on the evening of November 30, 2023 at Roosevelt High School. If accepted, students will perform a concert at Ankeny High School on January 6, 2024.
Using the chart above, verify your audition time. *Percussion audition has changed to 6:01 pm*
We will not be taking a bus. Most students have found it more conducive to arrive about an hour before their audition time rather than sitting around all evening getting nervous. If your family has difficulty arranging transportation, let us know and we’ll assist in arranging a carpool.
Roosevelt High School
4419 Center St.
Des Moines, IA 50312
Enter through the main entrance and go directly into the auditorium to warm up.
Event Ticket Reminder
For all band events at UHS, tickets MUST be purchased in advance at www.j-hawks.com/tickets. A cash option will NOT be available at the door.
Saturday, December 2nd – The Urbandale Jazz Summit
– This event involves guest clinicians Blake Shaw and Dr. Anthony Williams leading clinics for UHS Jazz I, II, III and UMS Jazz WF and TT throughout the morning followed by a performance in the PAC at noon. We highly encourage families to attend clinics throughout the morning! Clinics are free to attend. The noon performance is $6.00. A student itinerary for this event can be found here. The event will also be streamed at https://j-hawks.com/live.
Saturday, December 9th – SCIBA Jazz Contest
– Jazz I and II will perform at the SCIBA District Jazz Festival in Waukee. An itinerary with specific performance times can be found here. Jazz III is not performing. This event is optional for Jazz III but strongly encouraged.
The 8th Grade Concert Band along with the UHS concert bands, Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony, will perform on Monday December 18th at 7:00 PM in the PAC.
Students must be wearing appropriate concert attire in order to perform. Many area schools have purchased long black gowns for the women and tuxedos for the men. We have chosen to give students some liberty in their choice of clothing for their concerts. However, in order to maintain the appropriate decorum in the formal concerts, we ask that all members of the J-Hawk Bands follow these guidelines when choosing their concert attire.
Black dress shirt with collar and tie based in royal blue.
Black dress pants (suitable for a crease in front) and black belt (exclude cargo pants, denim, corduroy, etc.)
Black dress shoes with black socks (suitable for polishing; exclude athletic shoes and socks, sandals, flip-flops, or other casual footwear)
Black suit or sport coat optional but recommended (if wearing a suit, you may substitute a white dress shirt)
Floor length black dress with sleeves or floor length black skirt with black blouse
Optional accent accessories should be royal blue (such as a scarf or head band)
Black dress shoes (Color: flat black close-toed and flat heel with skin-toned hose.
Exclude athletic shoes and socks, sandals, flip-flops, or other casual footwear.
Proper decorum for formal concerts is that no skin is showing from shoulders to the floor.
Band Summit Photos/Videos
Any pictures or videos you would like considered for the Annual Band Summit Video (January 27) should be submitted to Mr. Doggett. These photos and videos should be of current band students participating in band activities from this year. Examples could include selfies or group photos taken before or after a band event.
Solo and Ensemble Contest
February 8th – Urbandale Solo and Ensemble Contest
February 17th – Perry Band Olympics
- Students performing a solo must pay the participation fee by this Friday, December 2nd – $20. A link to the online payment system can be found here (See payment instructions below).
- Students should be ordering an original published version of their music (Photocopying music is illegal.)
- Students will have the option of performing a solo and/or small ensemble. For students performing a solo, we will be scheduling 3 rehearsals for students to rehearse with their accompanist prior to February 8th. These rehearsals will be scheduled on the three Sunday afternoons leading up to our event (January 21, 28, and February 4). All rehearsals will take place at UHS.
The Performing Arts Booster Club will be covering the cost of accompanists assigned by the Band Department. Their support makes Solo and Ensemble even more accessible to all students within our program. External accompanists will be permitted but not covered by the Boosters.
Click “Activities,” “High School,” “High School Solo Fees,” and the registration number. Continue following additional prompts.
Professional Quality Instruments
For students wishing to excel on their instrument, it is vital to practice and perform on the best instrument affordable. If you are ready to advance to the next level of performance, here’s our list of recommended instruments. Don’t buy an instrument without consulting Mr. Doggett or Mr. Breese. The music retail industry can be confusing; allow us to help you.
If you already have a professional quality instrument, be sure to both practice AND rehearse with your best instrument at all times. Yes, this means you should bring it back and forth to school. If your personal achievement is important to you, this effort is well worth the sacrifice.